Tomb of Horrors

Memories from the Greyhawk Campaign.
Endymion
Knight of the Realm

19 Sep 2009, 20:30 #1

So . . . I've been running my daughters through the Tomb of Horrors (does that qualify as child abuse?) and, while they were generally doing very well,
they ran into some trouble in the trembling room. Unlike any other group I'd run through there before, they actually grabbed on to the curtains to steady
themselves when the floor started to shake -- not a TPK, but close. My elder daughter knows a bit about you and Robilar's past and was wondering if you
recalled how Robilar did in that room. Lost a few orc servants, perhaps?

I don't know if you'll be reading this for a while, but we were just wondering.

Cheers.
"As though to breathe were life . . . ." -- Tennyson, "Ulysses"

grodog
Knight of the Realm

21 Sep 2009, 03:37 #2

IIRC, Mark, Gary has said in the past that none of Robilar's orcs who entered the Tomb managed to survive beyond the initial entry corridor, so I think
Robilar should have been alone when he first encoutered the shaking room. He'll have to fill in the rest of the details from there, however, since I
don't think he's detailed the story in full otherwise.

Endymion
Knight of the Realm

22 Sep 2009, 00:13 #3

Thank you, Allan -- I was not aware of that. Come to think of it, it's almost as though all those pit traps were designed to eliminate low-level henchmen
(although the poison, of course, could kill anyone). Hmmm . . . was the Tomb purpose built, I wonder, to counter Robilar's specific tactics?
"As though to breathe were life . . . ." -- Tennyson, "Ulysses"

grodog
Knight of the Realm

23 Sep 2009, 21:07 #4

Endymion wrote:

was the Tomb purpose built, I wonder, to counter Robilar's specific tactics?

A very interesting question! IIRC Gary ran the Tomb a few times for Robilar, Ernie, and perhaps others, before putting it into general
circulation in the campaign (and then the tourney scene, of course). I don't know if he designed it specifically to beat Robilar (or Tenser), but pruning
Robilar of his orcs doesn't strike me as that much of a handicap, since he often adventured alone anyway. I don't know as much about Tenser's
adventuring cohorts/habits, but perhaps Scotty can chime in with some info if he has any?

Clangador
Knight of the Realm

22 Oct 2010, 03:38 #5

This makes me wonder what the mortality rate was among PC's back then.
-----------------

~Clangador

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than
man. Has to be."

~George Taylor

Facebook